Thursday, April 11, 2013

April showers bring May flowers.

We hear this phrase throughout our entire childhood; being a child of the South, I grew up wondering why we sang songs about April showers and May flowers. See, where I grew up, February showers (sometimes January showers) bring March (and some February) flowers. Well, April is here in the North, and so are the showers.

I have missed the rain, the smell, the quiet before the storm. Mostly, I have missed the sound of the birds chirping following a brisk Spring storm. Yesterday, I saw lightening for the first time in half of a year. It was miraculous. What was even more miraculous: the 70 degree sun beating on my skin moments before the storm rolled in off the ocean.

Backtracking to Monday, I spent the warm Spring day in The City. Central Park was full of bikers, runners and children laughing; every moment of that day was spent blissfully. It was the first time I have been in the city during a Spring day--a warm, sunny Spring day. While it is a slight let-down that I do not get to wake in The City every day, I am learning to appreciate my quant (and sweet) community in Sag Harbor.


As the warm air is rolling in each morning, I am breathing it in, smelling the ocean and opening my heart and mind to the North Eastern shoreline.

I am happy, and that's all I really ever wanted.

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment